Our Houston Summer is not over yet, so get out and do something fun! Here are just a few cool ideas for you to try :)
We have one week left in August so go out and knock out some amazing places off your list. This month has been amazing for me, because I've caught up with friends and I've had amazing dinners and brunches at different locations all over Houston. This is the time to go out and be a foodie and explore the amazing options that our city has to offer. I will be reviewing my top 5 very soon, so stay tuned.
This is one of my favorite parks. There is so much to do in the summertime...like concerts and outdoor movies. I also love the flea market they have some weekend nights. They have activities for the whole family, from kayaking to yoga and even a young writers workshop. Los Skarnales, one of my favorite local bands will be there on September 15, so be sure and check them out.
3. The Beach! Unfortunately this year wasn't very beachy for us Houstonians with the flesh eating bacteria in the water. There are lots of other things to do than swimming in the ocean! We have Pleasure Pier and lots of restaurants and bars that are on the seawall. Have you ventured into the historic downtown district? I love the architecture in that area, it reminds me a lot of New Orleans. There are several cool museums to check out as well (like the Bishop's Palace).
4. Catch a sunrise or a sunset. My favorite places to view these magical moments are by the water or on a rooftop. (Rooftops aren't very accessible to normal civilians but I'm extremely grateful to the nightshooters for taking me up! It is definitely one of those things that is purely magical and I have a future blog post for that).
My nieces and I have this fun new thing where we have sleepovers and then wake up at the crack of dawn to go sunrise chasing. We get to catch up on our busy lives and enjoy our time together and make these wonderful memories! Sunsets and sunrises can be seen anywhere, so make it fun and catch a few with someone special.
“There's a sunrise and a sunset every single day, and they're absolutely free. Don't miss so many of them.”
― Jo Walton
5. Go on a road trip this summer!
I was in several states this summer and it was such a fun experience. I hit up Louisiana, Alabama, North Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, and of course our great state of Texas. Whether you are traveling alone or with a group, road trips are the epitome of summer and for me they always make for the best memories because I bring my camera to document each spot.
6. Pool Weather. Find a pool, borrow a pool, sneak into a pool, but take advantage of our extremely hot weather and lounge by a pool. My sister and I always have pool adventures! We pack a lunch, and snacks and go outside and enjoy the outdoors. It rains a lot here, so when the sun is out, I make sure to make the most of it.
7. Enjoy an outdoor concert! Houston is such a fun city with some amazing local musicians. Catch them on any platform of social media to know where they will be playing. I also check out the Houston Press for info on events in our city. I will start featuring more musicians and local DJ's on my blog so you can support local artists.
8. Get some ice cream! So I'm kind of spoiled ;) and after going to Italy, I became gelato obsessed. My favorite gelato place here in Houston is SweetCup Gelato. They have amazing flavors and it is freshly made. If you are in Montrose be sure and swing by.
9. Beer Gardens. Axel Rad is my fave! Get out in the heat and enjoy a beer or 2. Chill on a hammock and listen to some fun tunes or come out on movie night to enjoy old classics on the big screen. Axel Rad has local bands and dj's that make appearances, so it is def a place that you don't want to miss. There are so many beer garden's popping up over town, so keep an eye out for them.
10. Go out and be a tourist in your own city! Try something different or explore a new part of town. If you are a photographer or an avid Instagrammer, go out there and explore your surroundings. It is so easy to ask someone for the location, but what is the fun in that? Invite one of your friends and get out there and have some fun with it and make some fun memories this summer!